Monday, May 1, 2017

Truck Driving School, Final Entry Part II

Final Entry/Last Days Pt. 2
...Friday morning to calm myself I walked four miles to a bakery for a donut, cinnamon bun, and coffee, and then four miles back. Saturday morning I walked the 3-4 mi. round trip to the Wal*Mart, to begin stocking up again for another week’s worth of groceries, and later that evening walked 4.5 miles to a pizzeria, and 4.5 miles back. By Sunday I was feeling good again. Sitting inside a coffee shop I decided to check the DMV site using my phone, and Holy Cow, someone had cancelled their exam, because there was a 10:30am slot available for the next day, and I jumped on it. I got to the school early the next morning to let them know I was testing that morning (Mon. morning) instead of Thursday, and to hopefully lay claim to my favorite tractor trailer, the 10-speed Peterbilt & 53’ trailer. I’m happy... no, elated to say, it all worked out. I breezed through the pre-trip, this time getting the coupling devices & trailer, nailed the in-cab and air brakes test (leaving nothing out this time), performed the straight-line, 90ยบ, and off-set backing maneuvers without a hitch, and then went out and got one of the better road-test scores our school director had ever seen. What a relief! Ever the perfectionist, I was a little dismayed that I had gotten some things wrong on the road test; I’m sure the trailer drifted onto the white line on more than one occasion, I ground the heck out of the gears several times, even losing the gears once while making a turn, but each time I recovered well, which is what the examiners want to see. It’s o.k. to make mistakes, but can you recover from the mistake, essentially proving that you can control the truck. 
Fortunately my first failed attempt at the test did not affect my job… I had wanted to get into orientation Monday of this week, but in retrospect am thankful the earliest they could set me up is Monday of next week. That’s one phone call I’m glad I didn't have to make… “Umm, sorry guys, but I can’t make the orientation next week because I’M A FAILURE.” So I’m set to begin orientation with Schneider Monday morning… I’m presently on a bus making my way to Austin, TX, where I’ll spend two days with an old friend before continuing on to Houston. 28 days of training in their tanker/dry bulk division, and then I’ll be on my own. I reckon this will wrap up my training diary; if you’ve kept up with it, thanks very much for reading. I’m undecided about writing a training diary after I begin working for Schneider… if it happens it will show up in this section (Training Diaries) of the forum. 
A mighty ‘thank you’ to Errol V., G-Town, and Hans Solo Cup for your earlier words of encouragement. I’m very excited and proud to join your ranks, and hope that our paths cross on the road as well as in this forum.




"Nice work Pete! Congratulations!"    -  G-Town

"Fantastic Pete! My parents always said and now I always say "Everything happens for a reason." You got a lot of walking in which helped clear your mind and relax your body... and, lo and behold, a testing slot opened up. You weren't stressed and the timing was right. Well done. I hope you decide to write another training diary and I will eagerly await its appearance. Good luck!"  -Han Solo Cup

"Pete, Congratulations Man!

I've been following along in here, although silently for the most part. I'm really glad to see your progress! It really is tough when you first get started at this, and you will experience many more trying things as you progress, but you are really doing a great job of it!

I loved your analogy about a guy finishing at the bottom of his class in Med School - it really is true. I tell people all the time about how my three daughters all learned to walk at vastly different ages. Once they had been walking for a few months they each walked just as well as the others. It really makes no difference how many times they fell down at the beginning.

I'm glad to see you doing the walking... I walk a lot, it is something that you can do to get out of the truck and renew your self while out here on the road. I'm actually parked on the beach today in Pass Christian, Mississippi taking a nice 34 hour reset break. I walked several miles down the beach yesterday, and will do the same today. Jackson Brown once wrote a line in "Taking It Easy" that said, "Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy." Out here you have got to get away from the truck sometimes to take a break from the constant running just to make money. There has to be a balance in this OTR lifestyle, and I'm sure you will find it. Don't be a slave to that truck. Work hard when you are up to it, but take a break every now and then so that you don't burn yourself out.


You really did put together a great diary, very valuable information in here. I know it is a lot of work to do this type of diary, and I appreciate your contributions in here! Best of luck to ya Pete, I am looking forward to hearing more about your career as it progresses."  -Old School

"I, for one, would love to see you continue your updates as you progress. As one who is considering this profession, every inside glimpse or piece of advice I can get from someone going through it is truly invaluable. Thanks for the updates and congratulations!!"   -Deke

No comments:

Post a Comment