Wednesday, March 22, 2017

All About Running

As mentioned in my previous post, I managed to run for five or six miles after a three-year layoff without my knee falling off, inspiring me to give it a shot, and see what happens.  I figured, the worst that could happen is I'll realize that something really is still very wrong with my knee, and I still can't run.  It would make my life much easier, however, if it would just work for me.  I've developed a fitness program to stay in shape while driving a truck (see first post here), and while I have the upper-body and core program figured out, had presumed that for cardio I would look into bringing a bike along and using it while taking breaks, or simply walk.  The biking thing has me worried, as there doesn't seem to be a simple way to attach a bike to the outside of the truck, and there has been some debate on trucking forums about state/federal regulations re: the securement of a bike to the back of the cab.  Another solution would be to buy a bike that folds easily, or has quick-release wheels (front & back), but then I'd be getting into a price range I'm not comfortable with.  But my biggest concern is the amount of time I'd want to spend on the bike... when biking at home my shortest ride ever has been two hours, and that was at a pretty good, sustained pace.  My rides usually average 4-5.5 hours, whether on the road bike or mountain bike.  I'm gone for so long because (1) I enjoy it!! and (2) I feel like it takes me 4-5 hours on a bike to attain the same level of fitness I got when running for an hour to an hour-and-a-half.  However, once I begin my truck driving career, I'm not going to have that much time to devote to exercising.  Due to DOT Hours of Service regulations, a 10-hr break is mandatory after driving 11 hours... and to make money and keep the wheels turnin' 10 hours is going to be about as much time as I'm going to allow myself off.  So biking for four or five, or even two or three hours, is out.  However, I'd be completely satisfied if I could run/jog for 30-40 mins., three-to-four times/week.

Enter Paul.  Paul's a good friend of mine who moved to Cuenca last year; he's the same age as me, also a workout fanatic, and competes in triathlons.  He's the guy in some of my biking photos who's NOT 60+ years old.
that's Paul on the left, wearing the Ironman shirt

Winding up a Thursday ride with the fellas, and knowing that Paul sometimes ran after our rides as part of his triathlon training, I mentioned that I was thinking about running again, and did he want to accompany me on a run after the ride?  He said sure, so we subsequently went on a run that took us up the steepest hill I've found in Cuenca.  I've seen cars stall out on that hill.  I don't know why I chose that route; I think because I've climbed it many times on a bike and wondered how difficult it would be to run up. That hill, only about a half-mile long, was the beginning of a 3.5 mile climb... the remaining three miles were much more gradual.  About 1250ft in total elevation, from bottom-to-top.  At the top there was a sharp left turn and then 4.5 miles of downhill, on mostly dirt roads.

I felt great on the uphill, but my body felt old and uncoordinated running downhill.  My bones and joints creaked, it felt awkward... the fluidity I once had was completely gone.  I badly misjudged the distance we'd be running... my intentions were not to run eight miles on an hour-plus run, but that's what happened.  I followed that up with a 30min jog on Sunday after Sunday's bike ride, then joined Paul's Tuesday night group for their weekly walk/run.  Paul has organized a weekly run/walk group that meets on Tuesday nights in Cuenca, advertising for participants via Facebook and posting notices in the expat forum GringoPost.com.  The group meets every Tuesday evening at 5pm, alternating between meeting at a point along the Tombebamba River or Yanuncay River.  The ages of the runners and walkers vary from teen to 80+, and the group has been as small as four or five and as large as 20-25.  The running pace is a comfortable jog, but most of the group walks; the runs finish at either a popular pizza restaurant or a fantastic pub featuring excellent craft beer brewed by two expats from the U.S., Greg and Shawn.

I'd joined the Tuesday night group in Cuenca for two runs; after that, my time was up and I had to leave for the States.   For close to three weeks I maintained a running schedule of Tue-Thur-Sun... so far, so good with re: to my knees holding up.  I'm pretty certain I'll never get to run an ultramarathon again, but I'd be ecstatic if I can continue running three times/week at an easy pace.

Cuenca Tues. night run/walk group
I'm getting ahead of myself, but upon leaving Cuenca I flew to Richmond, VA, to spend a week with family before beginning my truck driving career.  I landed in Richmond on a Friday afternoon, and the very next morning was treated to an experience I never expected would happen:  I got to go for a run with my cousin and his son along the trails by the James River.  My cousin (Cuz, as we call him) has been running for many years now, completed numerous marathons, and I think is very close to running an ultramarathon.  Just a little more pushing/pressure/encouragement and I believe he may do it.  His son ran on the track team last year and seems very close to miler stardom.  We covered about 8 miles; it was a glorious morning.  I'd never run with Cuz before, and having his son along was just icing on the cake!  On our way home we stopped at The Sugar Shack, a donut shop in Richmond that lives up to its name!

me, Jack, & Cuz
I hit some of those same James River trails again the following Tuesday, this time meeting an old friend (Mark "Iscool" Guzzi) who also has organized a Tuesday evening running group, in Richmond.  Mark's influence in the running community is widespread and immeasurable.  His energy and enthusiasm is unparalleled.  I have him to thank for getting me into my first JFK 50 Miler in 2006, allowing me to run on his team "Old & In The Way," bending perhaps the only rule they have, and that is being at least 40 yrs. old to qualify for the team (I was 36 at the time).  They had one open spot on a team of five, let's face it, running 50 miles does not appeal to everyone, and I wanted in on the race.  Mark's many community achievements include establishing a Tuesday night group run, a monthly trail run, the infamous REMR (Really Early Morning Run)... (runs begin usually after 1am, ending sometime at or near sunup, featuring a post-run spread that often includes lots of bacon, and for which Mark even designed a logo...),




and one of the coolest contributions ever to the Richmond running community, something hundreds of thousands of runners & walkers and canines too will enjoy for many years to come, especially on those hot & muggy days, a water fountain placed near an entry to the James River Trail System and easily accessible to anyone running in the area.  The benefits of a water fountain cannot be overstated.  This is no ordinary water fountain, either; it is designed so that the pipes will not freeze in the winter, guaranteeing a flow of water even in sub-freezing temperatures.  Behold:




Yes, I drank from this fountain before the Saturday morning run with Cuz and his son Jack, and again during the Tuesday night run with Mark and his group.  And it was good.  

Our run Tuesday night was again around eight miles, taking us along both sides of the James River.  We were fortunate to see a train silhouetted in the distance crossing a bridge over the river, as well as the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus train parked on the tracks.  It was great seeing Mark again, which under normal circumstances probably shouldn't have happened, as just three days prior he completed a 50k race in the Appalachian Mountains in western Virginia; but Mark is no ordinary man, he's extraordinary.  

Richmond Tues. night run group




No comments:

Post a Comment