Thursday, March 30, 2017

More Feedback From Readers of My Training Diary


Well, the title of this post is pretty self-explanatory, not much else to add, so here they are:


"Congrats on the testing."  -ChosenOne

"I am testing for my permit next week, the soonest I could make an appointment. I hate waiting at DMV , the lines are relentless and since I am testing, no electronics allowed, so it would be boring."  -ChosenOne

"Congrats on acing all of those tests! That's amazing. Awesome job!"  -Brett Aquila (he's the creator and genius of the Trucking Truth website!)

"Hey man, thanks for sharing your experiences with SAGE. I'm starting there myself on Monday in Missoula. Too bad you didn't choose there instead of Billings, we could've been in the same class. Oh well, maybe I'll see you on the road sometime."  -Lunchbox Jr.

My reply:  "Lunchbox Jr., thanks for reading! I wonder how closely your curriculum will follow mine? Yeah, it is too bad you didn't choose Billings for your own SAGE experience, now it's going to be really really difficult for me to buy you a beer. I was thinking I might make it to Missoula on a training run, but I don't think our instructors will allow us to drive 5 1/2 hrs. from our training center. Not entirely sure our tractor trailers could make it that far anyway! Do you plan on staying in the area after you get your CDL , or will you be going OTR? Looks like I'm the only one in my class who is going OTR , everyone else seems to be set with local jobs. One guy is getting into the oilfields. I do hope your class isn't as large as mine (8); normal size appears to be 3-4. At any rate, good luck, and I hope you're taking advantage of the online CDL materials available on this site. If you haven't noticed yet, I'm a big fan! A certifiable 'homer.' Not embarrassed about it, either. We'll stay in touch!"

And his reply to my reply:  "Hey, Pete. I was thinking about going into OTR most likely. I want to live out of my truck and rake in the miles for a few years and hopefully pay for a house with cash. No need to worry about home time if your home is the truck! 
I don't think the class sizes in Missoula are very big because when I visited the class at sign-up, there was only one guy and the teacher in the class room! So that'll be cool having a smaller class size. I think it might be because the competitively priced college class takes most of the students around the area. The main reason I went with Sage instead of the college is I didn't know the college had a program until I signed up! Oh well, I decided to stay with Sage because the college's class is fairly new, and Sage has been doing this for awhile and is a recognizable name in the industry. I'm kind of hoping that helps out somewhat."


"Pete really informative diary thus far. I read your point about the brake test; it's a common failure point for students because it must be done in an exact order, with exact wording, a progression of steps. Forget one seemingly minor step, or execute it out of order, and it's a fail.


Keep up the good work!"  -G-Town

My reply:  "G-Town, thanks for the reply. I'm taking it to heart; I won't allow myself to get over-confident with the brakes test."




No comments:

Post a Comment