Monday, March 27, 2017

Truck Driving School, Day 1 (orientation... what else?)

Day 1
Orientation occupied the first hour; names, welcome, hello, packet including FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations) pocketbook/handbook, a rather thick textbook: Delmar's Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver Training, 4th edition, and some forms to fill out. Next, straight to the computers where the rest of the day was spent taking practice tests for the CDL permits, including every endorsement except 'passenger' and 'school bus.' I left for two hours to get my drug screen and DOT physical. When I returned, it was back to the computer to finish the practice tests. 
I think everybody but me had received 'homework' prior to today's first class, to prep them for the CDL written tests. I didn't get it because I was out of the country until 10 days ago. Anyway, a minimum score of 80% is needed to pass the DMV written tests... my lowest score was an 83, and that was because there were only 10 questions on that test, and two of them were on something I'd never heard of, that the converter dollies are equipped with ABS brakes... so I whiffed on those. HOWEVER, because I spent so much time on the High Road Training Program, I passed all of the tests with ease, scoring many 90s, 95s, and 100s. Some of the questions were worded EXACTLY like the questions on the CDL practice testsfound  here. For anyone considering trucking as a career, I cannot stress enough how important it is to study the High Road and work through the CDL practice tests. You'll be way ahead of the game, and to quote the site founder, Brett Aquila, "Hard work early on in your career preparing for the testing and then your time on the road really pays off in a big way. It's nice to have the written stuff totally under control so you can focus on the next set of challenges."  Amen.

me w/Rachel, who began working with me in December, getting me into the SAGE truck driving school

No comments:

Post a Comment