Sunday, March 26, 2017

Feedback From Experienced Drivers

Earlier I mentioned that I'm culling these posts from an online diary I kept on the Trucking Truth website, found here... Trucking Truth forum: Diaries; one of the many great benefits of this website is that through its forums it encourages experienced (and inexperienced) truckers to offer feedback, advice, and opinions in response to questions and scenarios posed by wannabe truckers and newbie truckers alike.  This site was my go-to resource for information about the trucking lifestyle, preparing me mentally as well as giving me the necessary tools for obtaining my Commercial Learners' Permit. You are not allowed to drive a truck an inch without a CLP, which is obtained by taking (and passing) a written test at the DMV.

I mention all this because I did receive feedback to my diary posts, which I feel is important to include.  I didn't necessarily listen to all of the advice, but that's my mother's fault, because apparently I got my stubbornness from her, but as you might suspect at this point, all turned out well.  The first response to my diary came from a gentleman who is a well-respected contributor to the Trucking Truth forums, a veteran of the trucking lifestyle...

"Pete a couple of things to consider: 
It is possible that Schneider may have similar pre-qualifications as Jim Palmer and WilTrans. Before signing any school contract I suggest you get a couple of pre-hire letters in place, as follows: 
I also want to caution you on tankers. Not trying to dampen your spirits, but tankers, especially food-grade smooth bore tankers offer an additional level of complexity and risk that we recommend rookie drivers seriously consider before making their decision. 
Click this link for additional information: Tanker Surge
Good luck!"

My response to his post follows:

"G-Town, thanks very much for your advice! I have already received four pre-hire letters (Schneider, KLLM, Werner, & Watkins Shepard)... (Schneider owns Watkins Shepard, so maybe that only counts as three pre-hires)... my only concern with Schneider right now is that I'll have to get myself down to one of their hiring centers for tankers to be considered for a job. Their local recruiter has pledged his help with that. Hopefully he's a solid guy and not blowing smoke where the sun don't shine. They hire locally, but for dry vans. Your remarks about pulling tankers are well-received. I am aware of the opportunities they present, but am so dedicated to this line of work feel that as long as they're hiring and training CDL grads, I'm going to take advantage of that, and actually look forward to practicing what I've been reading and learning about pulling tankers. And besides, this forum needs a driver with that type of experience; there's plenty of reefers, dry vans, and flat-bedders here, I haven't heard too much from the tankers! So you might say, I'm doing it also for Trucking Truth!"



So already I'm not following the advice of experienced truckers... big surprise. 


Next:  Day 1 in CDL school

No comments:

Post a Comment