Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Truck Driving School, Day 3 (testing at DMV)

Day 3
Took my five written tests this morning at the DMV: General Knowledge, Combos, Air Brakes, Doubles/Triples, and Tankers... perfect scores on all of them! Didn't answer a single question wrong... the lady looked up from her computer when she pulled up my scores and said, "Wow! Nobody hardly ever does that here!" She made me feel pretty good. I asked her if I was going to get a free donut for that, but sadly, she said no. I owe the outstanding preparation to... wait for it... The High Road Training Program as well as the CDL Practice Tests. The previous two days had been spent mostly reviewing everything I'd already studied and learned, with additional online and hard-copy practice tests provided by my SAGE trucking school filling in the gaps, adding state-specific material. I had to keep my emotions in check however, as the fellow student who drove us to the DMV failed two of his tests. I had spoken so highly of Trucking Truth's great prep material that he asked me for the links to the sites, so of course I was happy to provide them. 
I spent the remainder of the morning applying for my HAZMAT endorsement, and TWIC card. Don't know if I'll need the TWIC card, but figure while I'm here, I may as well knock it out. I'd hate to have to refuse a load because I'm not authorized to gain access to a port facility. That only took about an hour, and since the school didn't have anything else planned for the rest of the day, I got off pretty early. That gives me plenty of time to follow up on applications, update the diary, look at the pre-trip (again), go for a short run, then take a short swim followed by a dip in the hot tub before I retire for the evening. May as well enjoy this life while I can, because soon enough I'll be living out of a steel box!

No comments:

Post a Comment