Saturday, April 1, 2017

Feedback to Day 6 (sometimes I listen!)

Again, the title of the post is self-explanatory, so I'll just lay it out to be read...

"Pete...effective trip-planning can save you so much time and aggravation on the back end. May not compute at the moment, but it will.

Many of the routes I take, burned into memory, repetition and practice will over time reduce your trip-planning effort.

Good luck!"  -  G-Town

And, my reply:
"G-Town, I could not agree with you more; I just hope I can reduce the time spent trip planning from hours to minutes! I've already gotten much faster at it, just practicing the past two days. We received a practice load to practice pre-planning on, and from the outset it seemed a bit outrageous: drive 2001 miles in 53 hours, NOT using the sleeper. I played the game and pre-planned it, but of course came in 14 hrs past the deadline. While tutoring a student again last night who is not quite getting it, I thought I had a 'genius moment' and had beaten the system, by planning the trip out as a 'team.' I was really happy with myself, thought I had thought out-of-the-box, finishing the trip as a team in 37 hrs, crushing the goal. Nope. Our hypothetical truck wasn't equipped with a sleeper, and our instructor informed me that DOT regs wouldn't allow for the other driver to sleep in the other seat, that it had to be in a sleeper compartment. So there was no way to win; the instructor appreciated my efforts, said I was thinking like a trucker, but in the end my solution was still a no-go. It wasn't an exercise in complete futility; it was still good practice pre-planning, but I would have appreciated the opportunity to have done it successfully! I didn't like it that failure was the only option. Even if it was just practice."




No comments:

Post a Comment