Saturday, April 8, 2017

Truck Driving School, Days 11 & 12 (wrapping up the classroom)

Days 11 & 12
We came in over the weekend for the last two days of classroom, which I don't think is normally done, but due to the size of our class (8) they needed to wrap up our classroom requirements so they could begin our driving rotation. Looking ahead to next week, I'll take a turn in a truck tomorrow (Monday), Friday, and Saturday. Needless to say, I'm happy to be done with the classroom. Don't get me wrong, I mean, I love powerpoint presentations, but I'm anxious to put to practice what I've been reading about and watching on a tv. Yesterday I actually moved a tractor trailer, while coupling and uncoupling the tractor to the trailer, and performing the air brakes test, and for a few brief moments realized how BIG those things really are. After class I went to the Wal*Marts with another student, and watched a guy drive his custom tractor through the parking lot like it was a sports car, maneuvering through the parking lot and to the front of the store where a promotional trailer was parked, and thought, "man, I am light years away from that!" 
The format of the classroom yesterday and today was the same as it has been: videos, really awesome powerpoint, two quizzes. Yesterday we broke early for lunch, sat through one class afterwards, then spent the rest of the afternoon practicing our pre-trip on the trucks. Today was even shorter; we finished up before noon, and due to a nice wintry mix of snow and rain, called it a day. I was happy for the short day, as I had several weeks' worth of laundry to do. I did my shopping yesterday at Wally World, so I'm hoping this afternoon there's a ballgame on the picture box.

No comments:

Post a Comment