Monday, April 3, 2017

Truck Driving School, Days 7 & 8 (useless training and recruiters)

Days 7 & 8
The past two days have both been spent in the classroom, covering chapters in our textbook, Delmar's Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver Training, practicing pre-planning loads, receiving an independent instruction on how to use electronic onboard recording devices, and sitting through presentations by recruiters from two different companies.
In covering chapters in our textbook, we are being shown videos, some on Youtube that are contemporary as well as others that were originally VHS learning videos produced in the 80's that have been copied onto DVD's, as well as some really nice powerpoint presentations that augment the learning. We then complete several quizzes on the material covered in the chapters, and move on. I did not see the point of the presentation by a gentleman this afternoon on using the 'electronic onboard recording devices,' or EOBR, or e-logs, as it is not likely that the company I work for will be using the exact same device; I know that the company that hires me will include training on their EOBR system in orientation or while I am training with the driver trainer. I kept one eye on his 'presentation' while I continued my practice trip planning. The best part about his spiel was when he quit talking about whatever EOBR device he was there to talk about and instead shared stories and advice learned from his 25 years of experience driving a truck. 
The recruiters could not have been more different. The first pair represented a local food delivery service, similar to Sysco... the young man was their transportation manager, in charge of the drivers, and his accomplice was a young lady who was the company recruiter. He inexplicably spoke 95% of the time... and he was not very polished. When they were finished, I didn't see why anyone would want to go work for their company. It was local work, and 100% driver unload. He did not make it sound appealing at all, and was unclear as to how long it would take after starting to move up to a full-time driver position. The second company recruiter represented Werner, and clearly brought his "A" game. There were students who had previously expressed zero interest in going OTR asking questions and re-thinking their plans of finding local jobs. I have been forthright about my desire to drive tankers for Schneider, but found out more about Werner today than I had learned on my own. Our instructor even admitted that he had to leave the room because the recruiter's pitch was making him wistful about returning to OTR. This evening I have composed a list of questions for the folks at Schneider, and will see how their answers compare to the benefits Werner is offering. 
Probably the most appealing aspect of driving for Werner is that they are not concerned that I don't have a 'home address' near one of their facilities; they allow their new-hires to list the assigned terminal as the home address. I can select any terminal in the country of my choosing, and they will get me there, on their dime. In order to work for Schneider, as well as many other companies I have applied to, I first need to provide a home address near their terminal before they will consider me. And to do that, I need to get myself there, an expense I will be responsible for. That in itself is not a deal-breaker, but I just like that a company (Werner) is doing whatever is necessary to get you into their company, whereas with Schneider and many other companies, I feel like I am begging them to go work for them. 
I realize my diary contains much more than just the specifics of what we cover on a day-to-day basis, but I feel my thought process throughout this experience should be shared as well, as it's all part of the show. If you're still with me, thanks for reading, see you tomorrow. And drive safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment